- Don’t insert your mod at the very end of the file, as you’ll have to add a comma to the mod preceding you which can confuse git. Instead, put new mods at the top of the file (or anywhere really).
- Try not to move things around unnecessarily, as it will generate a larger diff and make reviewing your PR harder.
- Take care not to mess up the indentation. While it may not seem like a big deal, not enforcing consistent indentation would result in absolute chaos.
- For security reasons the automatic checks won’t run on your first PR until a contributor manually triggers them. Your subsequent PRs will benefit from automatic whitespace and schema validation checks.
Creating a PR
There are multiple ways to make a GitHub PR. We’ll cover a few approaches.
GitHub Web UI
- You don’t need to install any software
- Requires the least git knowledge of any method
- The web editor isn’t very good
- No schema validation
- No automatic indentation fixer
Simply edit manifest.json via the GitHub Web Editor.
Local Text Editor (Like Visual Studio Code)
- Can validate json schema
- Can fix bad indentation
- There are some very good text editors available
- Requires some git know-how
- Requires you to install software
Teaching git is out of scope of this document, but it really is worth learning. Perhaps take a look at the Git website.
- Install Visual Studio Code
- Fork the manifest
- Clone your manifest fork (git clone docs)
git remote add upstream firstname.lastname@example.org:neos-modding-group/neos-mod-manifest.git
git fetch upstream
git checkout upstream/master
git branch my-new-branch-name(git branch docs)
- Edit the manifest in VSC, enjoying its built-in JSON schema validator
git add manifest.json(git add docs)
git commit -m 'Add MyMod to the manifest'(git commit docs)
git push(git push docs)
- Head back to the manifest repo, where you should now see a button to open a PR. If not, you can manually create a pull request from a fork.
Repeat from step 5 for subsequent PRs.
If you need additional help, you can ask in the #mod-manifest channel in our Discord.